This is a list of books currently on my To Read shelf... literally. I do not suggest or anti-suggest any of them at this time as I haven't read them yet.
This is not the home of dotProject or web2project. It is the home of CaseySoftware, LLC. Any dotProject support questions should be referred to their support forums.
For those of you just tuning into the WordPress/Thesis battle, here is the current - as of 19 July 2010 - state of things:
As of 29 June 2010, web2project v2.0 is officially released! You can download it from SourceForge now.
Although this release had lots of bug fixes, the primary focus was on a few specific new features and major pieces of functionality. You can read the full v2.0 Release Notes, but in my opinion, the six most important items are:
A Project Importer update is available for web2project from the downloads page.
Version 4.0 marks a major update in the Project Importer module. While many changes are minor, there are some significant updates to performance and general reliability:
This release was focused almost entirely on bug fixing and preparation for the coming v2.0 release in June. Since the v1.2.2 release in January:
Late last month, I received some bad news about web2project...
It turns out that web2project was vulnerable to a handful of select Cross Site Scripting (XSS: definition) vulnerabilities. While the attack vector was pretty specific to being an already authenticated user, it had the potential to be a major problem in a poorly configured system.
On the positive side, I say "was" because within 10 days of being notified of the problem - and the same day the vulnerability became public - we had a patched release out the door and available to users. We've spent the past month since encouraging them to upgrade. Of course, we further benefit from the fact that although the vulnerability does affect us, we're not named in the report.
Since the v1.2 release in early December, it's been a bit of an adventure... in the first week after the release, we got a couple major bug reports. Another few days resulted in a few more. Another day, another bug. In the first two weeks, we received a total of 7 bugs that ranked from major to critical. All in all, it was a bad time. Conveniently enough, none of the bugs were particularly complicated or deep, so we were able to quickly resolve each of them and eventually release a v1.2.1. And after receiving word of a small issue requiring another merge, v1.2.2 shortly after the New Year.
While a few members of our community were understandably upset, I was impressed that the bugs were found so quickly and resolves just as quickly. I couldn't put words to this well until I read Karl Fogel's post "Bug Growth is Proportional to User Growth, and Bugs are not Technical Debt." Wow, that Karl is a smart guy. More on that topic later.
For v1.3 we have quite a few features and fixes on the way: