As of 01 April 2010, v1.3 of web2project is live.
This release was focused almost entirely on bug fixing and preparation for the coming v2.0 release in June. Since the v1.2.2 release in January:
- First, we added another 35 Unit Tests covering core functionality in the Tasks module. While there are still lots fo things that need tests, Trevor has does some amazing work and should be applauded for it.
- Next, we’ve done quite a bit of cleanup to the Tasks module itself. Now moving a Task from one project to another will cause both projects’ percent complete to be recalculated.
- Next, the upgrade process has been moved out of the /install folder and into the System Admin. Further, the System Admin page notifies administrators if database updates should be applied. This ensures that only properly permissioned users can apply upgrades.
- Next, we added “minification” to the Javascipt and CSS which reduced the corresponding filesizes by 80% and 33% respectively.
- Next, we created a number of Views Helpers. These helpers handle auto-linking fields that have url’s or even email fields. On the other side of things, we’ve added validation for email and url fields. If something is supposed to be a url, it will be. Further, description fields will respect character sets including umlauts and other non-English characters.
- Finally, we added deprecation warnings to a number of methods and functions that will be removed in later releases.
In summary, we closed about 25 items with ranging from 3 crash-level issues to 14 minor bugs. Once again, those are just the formally reported issues. If you want to explore everything of interest, check out the web2project v1.3 Release Notes on our wiki. And of course, if you’re looking for ways to share your code more easily, you should check out our web2project git repository.
This release came a little later than planned, but due to conflicting schedules, it just had to happen. Regardless, we’ve already sketched out v2.0 and plan to get back on track with the September v2.1 release.